Do you suspect you have a coronavirus infection?
How to protect yourself from COVID-19?
- Get vaccinated according to the recommendations, as this is the best way to protect yourself from developing a severe case of COVID-19.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth unless you have just washed your hands.
- Consider using a face mask and keep your distance from other people in public indoor spaces and on public transport. Recommendations for the use of face masks
- Work remotely part of the time, if possible.
What kind of symptoms are associated with a coronavirus infection?
The symptoms of the coronavirus are similar to the flu. The symptoms are fever, cough, fatigue, nausea, diarrhoea, muscle pain, sore throat, a runny nose, shortness of breath and a loss of sense of smell and/or taste.
If you have symptoms of COVID-19
- stay at home until you feel better
- if you have mild symptoms, you do not need to get tested for COVID-19
- report your absence due to illness to your employer, school or educational institute
(many employers allow their staff to stay on sick leave without a medical certificate or with a medical certificate issued by a nurse)
If your symptoms persist or if you need a professional assessment
- Make a symptom assessment at omaolo.fi
- Ask for advice from the chatbot on www.hel.fi (the chat is live on weekdays 9.00-14.00)
If you are unable to make a symptom assessment, call the Coronavirus Helpline, tel. 09 310 10024 (available Mon-Fri 8.00-16.00).
If you are experiencing more serious symptoms, such as shortness of breath or a deteriorating general condition and are thinking about going to the emergency clinic, call the Medical Helpline, tel. 116 117.
In an emergency (for example, in case of sudden chest pain), call emergency telephone number 112.
Note! If you are at risk of suffering from severe COVID-19, read: When to get tested?
More informationInstructions for people with respiratory infection symptoms or coronavirus
Coronavirus home tests (Finnish institute for health and welfare)
Latest news on Coronavirus
Coronavirus information in different languages