Frequently asked questions
1. How do I apply for a queue number?
You can submit your queue number application on the Apply for a queue number page .
2. How do I check my queue number?
- You can review your queue number in our e-services using your online banking credentials. You will also find your queue number on page 1 of your right-of-occupancy queue number application form, see also the instructions for reviewing your queue number (pdf) (in Finnish).
- You can also review your queue number on the online form, by entering your personal identity number and clicking the ’Verify the personal identity number’ button.
- You can also call the right-of-occupancy customer service number (09) 310 13032 Mon–Thu 9–11.
which municipalities can I apply for housing with my queue number?
Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Hyvinkää, Järvenpää, Kerava, Kirkkonummi, Nurmijärvi, Mäntsälä, Porvoo, Sipoo, Tuusula and Vihti form one joint application area.
Queue numbers applied for after 1 January 2015 (181630 or higher) can be used to apply for an apartment in any municipality in the joint application area. Any queue number applied for before the joint application area system is only valid in the municipality in which it was applied for.Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa have formed a joint application area since the beginning of the system. Hyvinkää, Järvenpää, Kirkkonummi, Nurmijärvi, Mäntsälä, Sipoo, Tuusula and Vihti joined the application area on 1 January 2015. Kerava joined on 1 January 2016 and Porvoo on 1 July 2017.
4. How long are queue numbers valid?
The queue number is valid until it has been used to obtain a right-of-occupancy apartment.You will lose your queue number if you decline for a third time a housing offer that you have already accepted after the company has sent a proposal of the acceptance of the right-of-occupancy to the city. You will also be considered to have declined the offer if the company has reserved the apartment for you and you ignore their requests to contact them or fail to provide them with the requested additional statements. If you lose your queue number, you can apply for a new one.
5. Can I transfer my queue number to another person, for example, to my
Queue numbers are personal and cannot be transferred.
6. How do I apply for a right-of-occupancy apartment?
Once you have received a queue number, you can submit housing applications on the websites of right-of-occupancy companies.
7. Can a right-of-occupancy be transferred?
A holder of a right-of-occupancy may assign the right-of-occupancy to his or her spouse, to a direct descendant or an ascending relative, or to another family member permanently living in the apartment at the time of assignment.
8. Can I switch to a different right-of-occupancy apartment?
You can switch to a different right-of-occupancy apartment, but it requires an unused queue number. You can either apply for vacant right-of-occupancy housing directly from a housing company or look for a right-of-occupancy holder who would like to trade apartments with you.